Wednesday, May 12, 2010

TV Addiction

Not doing very well in keeping up with my random notes. Somehow, there is always something else to do. This writing activity has not been elevated above those other activities such as “must find a job” or “must get house ready to sell” efforts. Sadly, it also falls below the “must sit on couch and watch TV” force that is part of my end of day routine. Hello, my name is Randy, and I’m a TV-holic. What else is there to do when the sun goes down? I used to use the excuse that it was my way of winding down after a hard day at the office. I’m not working right now, so I can’t say that anymore. No need for escapism through mindless entertainment. But now I am escaping the fact that I’m unemployed. TV does dull the brain so that those real life issues are temporarily forgotten. Sure sounds like a drug to me. “Take one TV show every hour, and call me in the morning.” Don’t forget to read the warning label: “CAUTION: May cause drowsiness. Do not take when operating machinery. Do not consume more than four shows a day. Prolonged consumption may be addicting. Some side effects include shortness of breath, blurred vision, memory loss and obesity.”


We’ve become programmed to watch programs. There is always something to watch. I remember having only three or four channels growing up. In those days, Hollywood was conservative and the bad guys always lost. Now, Hollywood tries to define reality in America, and exposes our children to way more than what their minds are ready to digest. Biologically, we drink milk until we are ready for solid foods. Physically, we learn to avoid what is dangerous or harmful, what is sharp or hot. Early on, we learn what “No” means from parents trying to protect us from ourselves. Mentally, we also grow at a steady pace. We learn what is familiar and safe. We learn to laugh at funny things, and to be cautious of the unknown. We learn to fear the bad things. Then we watch TV and slowly become desensitized to life. We learn to laugh at other people’s pain. We learn that it is fun to be scared, because it is “only a movie.” Special effects are not real. That’s not “real” blood. It’s cool to be grossed out. Too often, our children get exposed to this type of “entertainment” before their minds can properly interpret what should be retained or rejected.

How sad we are. TV has taken away our drive. Rather than challenge ourselves to improve, to learn, to experiment, to explore, we’ve succumbed to the seduction of cheap thrills on a TV screen. Like the apostle Paul, I am a chief sinner. If it’s Tuesday, it must be American Idol night.

I know that this doesn’t apply to everyone in America, but I suspect that the majority are like me, and even worse. In November, the Nielson ratings said that the average person in America watches almost 5 hours of TV a day. And I don’t think it’s my imagination that Sundays, when most professing Christians attend church, television programming offers the most violent and sexually geared shows to counter any good words offered from the pulpits. Why is it called “prime time”? We should be calling it “slime time.”

So what are you doing tonight? I “need” to see who gets voted off of Idol. Forgive me.

No comments: