Wednesday, April 21, 2010

White or What?

As you know, I am currently unemployed. I have gotten pretty good at filling out on line applications and writing cover letters. However, the racial questions always throw me. This is the typical multiple-choice list (copied directly from a company application):


- American Indian or Alaska Native (Not Hispanic or Latino)
- Hispanic or Latino
- Asian (Not Hispanic or Latino)
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (Not Hispanic or Latino)
- Black or African American (Not Hispanic or Latino)
- White (Not Hispanic or Latino)
- Two or more races (Not Hispanic or Latino)

My father’s genealogy includes English, Irish, and Scottish lineage. My mother is 100% Mexican. So, I am half “white” and half “Hispanic.” Now, based on the descriptions above, which do I check? And why does it make the Hispanic or Latino appear in such a negative light? Four times, the word “Not” is associated with this heritage. To me, technically speaking, I can not check any of these categories. I am not 100% Hispanic, so I should not check that one.. I am White AND Hispanic, so I can’t check that one. And, I am two or more races, but one IS Hispanic, so I can’t check that one!

Or...do I fall into the category of "American Indian"? Does that cover all the Americas? Mexican is really a nationality rather than a race. Would the Incas and Aztecas fall under the "American Indian" heading? Since I am a Christian, my true roots should be traced to Noah. Therefore, I would be of Jewish descent. That would make me "White" by the racial definitions. Wait a minute. That would mean that we are all white!

So, no matter what country we are from, what color we are, or what language we speak, we should check the "White" category on these applications. What is a mutt to do?

No comments: