Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Who Am I?

I have been out of work for six months. It has not been stressful, because I am blessed. God has provided all things, and God has provided for the drought. Carol and I have grain in the warehouse.


But I have struggled with my identity. As with many working adults, especially after 29 years in one profession, I identified with my work more than anything else. I am slowly coming to accept a lesson that God is teaching me through this, that I am not defined by my job, but rather by the person that He has helped me grow to become. It is the journey with God that brings maturity, wisdom, and knowledge. The Biblical heroes had many job titles: slave, shepherd, judge, tentmaker, fisherman, but it was their faith journeys that established the character of who they were.

I am not what earns me money, I am what earns me eternity. I thank my God for that, and I thank my God for being with me in whatever tomorrow brings.

No comments: