Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Unemployment Check Fopah

Currently, payday is on Tuesday. That’s when my unemployment check arrives. Last week I received a big surprise in the mail. When I opened the perforated envelope, instead of a check, there was a note that read as follows:

“THE EMERGENCY UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION PROGRAM, FROM WHICH YOU WERE RECEIVING BENEFITS, HAS ENDED. NO EMERGENCY UNEMPLOYMENT CAN BE PAID AFTER CLAIM WEEK ENDING JULY 6, 2009. YOUR BENEFIT ENDING DATE IS 10/10/10. A NEW CLAIM TO DETERMINE ELEGIBILITY FOR REGULAR UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS MAY BE FILED AFTER YOUR BENEFIT YEAR END DATE.”

What???!!!

I’ve read that three times, and I still don’t clearly understand what is says. I checked my balance on line, and there was still funding and a record of the check being issued for that week. When I called the unemployment office the next day to ask someone to explain it to me, they said that it was a mistake, and that checks were issued and sent out that morning. Whew! But who messed up? Was anyone held accountable for scarring the heck out of the dependent masses? Oops, just a typo, so sorry.

Bottom line...I need to find a job!

No comments: